Samantha Origlia Q&A

Rachel Hesse, Staff Writer

Samantha Origlia is the new College and Career Counselor at Durant this year. She worked as a long-term substitute, at the elementary level, for the past three years while she was going through graduate school. She grew up along the East coast and moved to Fort Meyers to go to school at Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU). After school, she knew that she wanted to move to Tampa and found herself at Durant with an exciting new opportunity. 

What is your first impression of Durant?

Everyone is so welcoming. On my first day of school a whole bunch of teachers came to say hi and introduce themselves and offer guidance and assistance if needed, so that has been really comforting for a new employee. 

What is your job here at Durant and for what information and assistance can students come see you for?

I am the College and Career Counselor. You can come to me about Dual Enrollment questions, college questions, and college life insight and career questions. I have provided seniors with a canvas page containing tons of information on scholarships and Bright Futures and hopes to be sending out a canvas page of information to the other classes soon as well. 

How are you helping online students?

Like I said with canvas, any students can message me even if they are not in my course, and through email. I have the Durant CCC Instagram that I am trying to post on a lot as well, so I am hoping that helps some students, especially E-learners. Also know that we can do zoom conferences and things like that for answering questions.

What is the hardest part about your job?

Being new it is hard to get students to know me, especially now with things being half e-learning and half in-person. There are also so many changes in the world and with colleges and scholarships and bright futures that I, myself, find it hard trying to keep up with all those dates and changes and convey those to the students. So, I think that the hardest part is dealing and with the Covid changes but also just being able to make sure all the students know their options because I want to be available and accessible. 

What is the best part about your job?

The best part is basically when I help someone with one little thing and they are like, “Thank you so much! That was really helpful!” It makes me feel really good to know that I was able to provide them with, not only, the right answer, but also to make them feel like a weight was lifted because I know the process can be a little daunting.

Can you see yourself working here for a number of years?

Hopefully… we will see what happens with the position and everything, but I think the school is a great place, and the students I have met so far are great, so I think this is a good school to choose. 

What is your favorite thing to do outside of work (or school)?

I just moved to the area, so it has been fun exploring more of like the City of Tampa and Channelside areas as it is really pretty over there. I have a chihuahua that I love to take for walks and go to the dog parks with. Just walking outside in general even though it is really hot.