Shivani Persad – Class of 2021 Salutatorian

Computer - APPSRV01 : User - appsrv01 : vers 2.10.45

Shivani Persad was named Salutatorian in February after four years of support and hard work

Lily Belcher, Editor In Chief

In February, senior Shivani Persad found out that she would be salutatorian alongside best friend and valedictorian Valeria Cortes.

“I always wanted to be in the top [two] of my class, especially with my best friend Val, but I never actually thought I would be able to accomplish that goal. For that reason, I never verbally expressed it,” said Persad. “However, it feels great to know that all of my hard work led me to this position. I am very happy about it.”

Persad credits her academic performance that led her to the achievement to AVID teacher Constance Mitchell as well as Cortes. Both pushed her to fulfil her potential and motivated her to reach her goals throughout high school.

The combination of advice from a teacher and friendly pushing from a peer created a healthy and strong support system throughout Persad’s high school career and was enough to drive her to accomplishing her goals while overcoming the challenge of the rise and fall of motivation despite the persistent workload.

A piece of advice that I would give underclassmen would be to keep your mind straight on whatever goal it is that you want to accomplish. You’re going to face many challenges along the way, however, you have to remember that’s part of you making progress. If you’re not struggling, you’re not progressing.”

— Shivani Persad

“Achieving second in the class has allowed me to learn how to deal with a rigorous workload,” said Persad. “It gave me the push I needed to be more involved in school and come out of my shell.”

In addition to maintaining a 8.62 GPA, Persad is the Parliamentarian for Durant’s chapter of National Honor Society and a member of Senior Council and Spanish National Honor Society, all of which require her to stay involved in helping her community and school.

After high school, Persad plans to attend the University of South Florida where she will pursue a Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Sciences.