Goodbye And Goodluck Class Of 2021

The 2021 graduating seniors celebrate their last year of high school with adjusted activities because of COVID-19.

Savanna Davidson

Ayla Yebba, Staff Writer

High school offers the long awaited extra-curricular events that students have been waiting for. Students long for prom, pep rallies, homecoming, sporting events and other school gatherings. However, the class of 2020-2021 wasn’t expecting their senior year to be any different than anyone else’s.

The seniors of Durant High School had to get creative in order to enjoy their last school year before leaving.

An overwhelming number of seniors thought that having Grad Nite and the water wars activity was important to their class as a whole. The graduating class of 2021 had the end of their junior year and senior year impacted because of COVID-19. Many of their events were canceled or altered in a way that made them acceptable according to COVID-19 guidelines.

Alternatives, such as, personal/private “proms”, water wars, a senior pep rally and a modified Grad Nite were instated so seniors could have as much of a normal senior year as possible.  

Since Durant is not hosting a prom itself, some students have taken matters into their own hands by hosting their own mini prom.

Emily Smith, a senior at Durant, planned a prom for students to attend. After how the 2019-2020 school year went, Smith had a feeling that her senior year would be different than she thought it would be. Smith was hopeful that her senior year could be as normal as possible, but in the end she wasn’t surprised because many events were already being canceled and taken away.

Smith mentioned that even though Durant was unable to host a prom itself her mom would like for her to have the prom experience. Smith’s mom encouraged her to ask students if they would be interested in having a prom and helping out with putting the event together.

A prom with about 65 people enjoyed dancing, making memories with their friends, cornhole games, and life sized jenga. It may not be the prom they expected they would have when entering their senior year, or high school in general, but many were all glad to have some sort of prom to conclude their high school career.

“A lot of people had said they enjoyed the prom and were grateful to my family for helping to put it on,” said Smith. “[It] let them have a sense of normality in such a weird year.”

[It] let them have a sense of normality in such a weird year.”

— Emily Smith

Durant’s Student Government Association (SGA) also hosted a pep rally for the class of 2021. Durant’s senior council came up with the only seniors pep rally idea so that their class could have an event just for them. The pep rally would also allow them to have a limit on the number of people attending so they were more likely allowed to host it rather than having a pep rally for the whole school. 

Many seniors also participated in another school event called water wars. Seniors got into groups of six, each having a water gun, and tried to get students on opposing teams out by squirting them. Specific rules were set in place for the games including students weren’t allowed to squirt others at school, work, or at church. Most people tried to find their competitors at their house or at the grocery store. If someone squirted another student they had to take a picture with them and then submit it to the water wars twitter account @swaterwars2021 so other seniors knew who was out.

“I think that [water wars] was something to look forward to especially this year since we didn’t get anything as a senior class, it was nice for us to be able to do this and have something fun to do,” said Ashtin Hine, a graduating senior. “It was nice for us to have this event. It was student planned and students from all different groups who you may not always talk to were playing and it was nice to see the whole class interacting with each other for one last school event.”

It was student planned and students from all different groups who you may not always talk to were playing and it was nice to see the whole class interacting with each other for one last school event.”

— Ashtin Hine

Seniors graduating this year were happy to have some regular senior activities and events to celebrate their accomplishments. Congratulations to the graduating class of 2021 and good luck in life no matter where your plans and dreams will end up taking you.