Durant Hockey Club Continues To Win

Cristina Hauerstein, Staff Writer

The ice hockey players of Durant High School have been on top of the Andreychuk division with a record of 6 wins and 4 losses during their winter season, playing almost every Friday at TGH IcePlex. The Durant Hockey Team has also played at Amalie Arena and other places around the state, like AdventHealth Center Ice and Tampa Bay Skating Academy. They also will have games at those rinks in the future.

The team has 11 games left in their winter schedule, and they also plan to extend their games to go to states and win.

“I’m really proud of our team… I expect good things from us this season,” said forward junior Christian Vanbrunt.

He also believes that if they advance in skill and keep up with what they’ve been doing to win, they can make it to states and win. They have been finalists multiple times but haven’t won States just yet.

“I expect we will start to face some tougher opponents and we will slowly develop our strengths,” said forward junior Ethan Carstens.

Although the team is doing well, both players believe that keeping up what they’re doing and improving is what they have to do and not lose what they have. They think it’s easy to get distracted and they will all try to not let that happen.

Durant has won more games than they have lost. In those games, all the odds are in their favor with big score differentials (Durant has outscored opponents 54-30), and a big difference in shots-on-goal, proving that the team is able to work together really well in the offensive.

Cheer on Durant’s ice hockey cougars Friday, November 19th at the Tampa Bay Skating Academy against Palm Harbor!

For updates on the team, check out their Instagram @duranthockeyclub or Twitter @duranthockey. Visit www.lightninghighschoolhockeyleague.com for more information about the team.