Durant’s Thespian Troupe #5444

Durant Drama Instagram

The thespians of Durant take a trip to Downtown Tampa.

Charisma Knowell, Staff Writer

Durant’s Thespian Troupe #5444 is the name of Durant’s drama club and theatre company. This club allows students interested in drama to determine whether they want to be on stage as the talent or backstage as a crew member.

The club provides multiple opportunities to be involved in. Students in the club get to audition for the advanced class and be in the “Durant Theater Company.” Stephen Arment is the club sponsor for the Thespian Club and is also Durant’s drama teacher.

At the beginning of each year, during club review, students can choose to be in this club by paying their dues, which is $5. Students interested are recommended to sign up fast because spots for the club fill up quickly.

The Thespian Club has the following officers: President Ashley Irovando, Vice President Isabelle Hoofnagle, Secretary Sydni Berge, Stage Manager Nevaeh Thatcher, Technical Director Ashleigh Parks, Facilities Manager Ethan Liberty, and Hospitality Manager Jackson Hamilton.

“My favorite memory of being in the Thespian Club was when one of my classmates created a scene and had to be Tom Hanks. I was not expecting anything funny or interesting. But he got up there and he was,” said senior Ashley Irovando. “I think he was trying to convince someone to be in love with him, and then he acted like he was in the Green Mile, and then said I saved Private Ryan. It was so funny. These students are so funny, and they have that ability in them and it’s so interesting seeing it come out.”

The Thespian Club only has club meetings and does host any other events or fundraisers unless students are in the “Durant Theater Company”. Students may have seen the club selling candy or Chick-Fil-A biscuits throughout the year. At the meetings, club members get to interact with other thespians who might not even be in the same drama class as them.

“My favorite memory was at the very first club meeting without any of the officers, so it was just me and 100 thespians and we played an improv activity known as ‘The Character’,” said Arment. “We were in the chorus room with 100 energetic people, but they were all trying to make the activity work.”

Make sure to check out their Instagram page @durantdrama to stay up to date with their latest posts, updates, and information on upcoming performances.