Hey Cougs, Let’s Go Clubbin’

Clubs On Display For Durant’s Club Preview Day

Durant High School Instagram

Go Green Club members ready for Club Preview Day.

Mary Baker, Staff Writer

Durant High School held its Club Preview Day on Thursday, Aug. 18 offering students an opportunity to view clubs of interest.

Each year, active club members volunteer during their lunch period to advocate for and answer questions about the specific club they are a member of. Possible new members sign up by filling out the provided form at the table for each club they hope to join. Some clubs also have additional fees depending on expenses to participate including Spikeball, National Honor Society and others.

Clubs meet once a month on Club Day when Durant’s bell schedule is modified to extend the first three periods of the day. This monthly modification gives students and teachers a break from the daily classroom routine, providing a change that is valued by all. “We have a very strict schedule to get from class to class, but clubs give us a chance to socialize with one another,” said Black Student Union President and Durant Student Ministry Founder Jeremiah Woods.

Students enjoy the ability to step back and take a breather, whether it be by meeting up with friends or talking to new people. “Clubs in general have really helped me connect with other people. They help me expand my social group and find other people that like the same things as me,” said National English Honors Society and Page Turners member Kaitlyn Crosby.

Teachers also enjoy Club Day because they see how the clubs they sponsor impact the school in a positive way. “Sophomore Council, specifically, is a great set of role models for the whole student body,” said Club Sponsor and English Teacher Elizabeth Lennon. “They are positive, they have school spirit, and they are respectful of one another. They improve the whole climate here at Durant and make it a better place for all of us.”

DHS has a club for everyone. Ranging from athletic organizations, such as Lady Cougars Lifting Club and Fellowship of Christian Athletes, to social groups, like Black Student Union and Gay/Straight Alliance, every club brings people together. “Having a group of people with similar interests is always something that’s desirable,” said Sophomore Gaby Hagman.

Joining clubs not only gives students the chance to socialize but can also provide participants with volunteer opportunities throughout the year. Overall, Durant students are excited to join new clubs and discover new friends and initiatives.

Durant’s first Club Day will be held on Wednesday, Sept. 14. Any student interested in joining a club should make sure they have all of the required paperwork filled out and turned in to the specific advisor before Club Day.